Francis 1800-1857 Egerton
Francis Egerton, was made first Earl of Ellesmere in 1846. Politician and poet, translator of Goethe, Schiller and Dumas, he leased Oatlands House from 1830-44. He was a friend of the actor Charles Kemble and his daughter Fanny who lived at Eastlands House, Weybridge.
As President of the Metropolitan Convalescent Institution, in 1850 the Earl donated five acres of land to the charity to build a convalescent home south of the railway.The home was opened in 1853/4 and brought patients from London to recuperate. In later years the home became part of the NHS, and was named Ellesmere Hospital after the original donor of land. When the building ceased to be a hospital, it was renovated, turned into apartments, the grounds improved and modern houses built. The stature of the original building remains a notable landmark.