John Erskine, eighteenth or second Earl of Mar (c.1562-1634), courtier and politician. After James succeeded to the English throne in 1603 the Scottish Earl of Mar accompanied him on his progress south, and for a while was one of the king's 'London Scots'. In May 1603 he dealt with Queen Anne's unsuccessful attempt to seize Prince Henry, who was installed at Oatlands Palace. He joined the English Privy Council, and in June 1603 was one of the only two Scottish recipients of the Garter. In December 1605 Mar was the only Scottish member of a seven-man commission to investigate the Gunpowder Plot. He received numerous grants of English estates and revenues, including, in 1603, the Manor of Sandon Chapel. Mar lived primarily in Scotland in the 1620s and when he left office on 3rd April 1630, he sold Sandon (which included Imber Court) to Dudley Carleton, Viscount Dorchester.